6.08.2006

Cuba Moment #1: "Will Sing For Cigar"

At the Havana airport on the way home, our group was sitting outside a gift shop as we waited for our (delayed) flight. I had already spent every last peso that I had at the hotel gift shop before we left. So, when I went into the gift shop, it was primarily just to look around and keep myself occupied.

Then I found out that the shop took American dollars -- the only store I had found all week who took our currency. They did not take American bank-issued credit cards, but greenbacks were just fine -- and I had $24 in my wallet. Time to shop!

While looking over the merchandise, I found myself singing "Guantanamera" -- a classic Cuban song. I was inspired by the cigars in the store with the same name.

Well, when it came time to ring up my purchases, the total came to $24.20. I asked the man to wait while I ran and found 20 cents from a friend.

"Do not worry," he said, "your singing is worth the 20 cents!"

"Is my singing worth a free cigar?"

"If you sing the whole song, yes, it is."

The offer was made and I was up for the challenge. As the shopkeeper helped other customers, I stood off to the side and sang "Guantanamera" over and over again. And by that, I mean that I sang the word "Guantanamera" over and over again since that's the only word of the song that I know. Fortunately, I at least knew the tune so I was somewhat credible.

After hearing a few rounds of such a stirring rendition of their beloved song, the shopkeeper threw his hands up in the air and gave me a cigar.

(For those keeping track at home, that's the second time I've won something for my singing.)

3 comments:

Lisa said...

ah, SWM, that brings back great memories! Thanks!!

All for now,
Lisa

Erin said...

Steven, you're so great... I love it!

Jen said...

I wonder what singing could get you free in Houston...