9.17.2005

Dealing with Muzak

I ran to the store for a few things today, like I usually do on a lazy Saturday morning. What should have been a 5-10 minute run through Randall's turned into a 30-40 minute stroll. Why?

Because I enjoyed the Muzak.

Now, I'm not sure if it was truly Muzak. That's like calling all facial tissue Kleenex. Muzak is a brand name. But whatever it was they were playing at Randall's this morning, I fell victim to it's coercive intent: to keep me in the store longer.

In a moment of identity crisis and in need of some serious affirmation, I text messaged some friends to ask them if it were bad that I was loitering in Randall's to enjoy the Muzak. Here are their replies:

  • "You're so 35." - Dinah Quintero
  • "Meander away! Pick me up some eggs!" - Lori Latham
  • "I think you should wait until the fourth or fifth date to share your affinity for Muzak." - Catha Duck
Still no word from Todd Richards.

8 comments:

David Hilburn said...

You poor pathetic man.

Todd Richards said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Todd Richards said...

I didn't respond b/c it was well after the fact... but my initial thought was, "that is a typical Steven question... and part of what makes him so fun to have around."

As for the actual question... I say what ever floats your boat.

David Hilburn said...

By the way, in case others wondered, Murray isn't poor and pathetic. Well, maybe he is poorer and more pathetic for not having seen the old Mac Davis Show. But he's a great guy. And next time I am in the grocery store, I wonder if I will pay more attention to the Muzak?

Todd Richards said...

The Muzak can be quite pleasant... especially if one is having a bad day. It can be very soothing...

David Hilburn said...

Yes Todd, it can be quite pleasant. Until a Carpenters' song comes on.

Lori Latham said...

The carpenter's rock! Have you ever just listened to Karen Carpenter's voice??

Steven and Amanda said...

"Rainy days and Mondays ... and Hilburn ... always get me down."