9.24.2005

Foraging For Food

As I type this, I'm hanging out with friends at Dinah and Laurie's place. Dave (my roommate) and I came over here around 4:00 this afternoon, primarily just because they had power and we didn't. Not that we're using our friends for some A/C ... actually, wait. That's exactly what we're doing.

But the group has grown to include Daniel, Kim, Shanna, and Clay. After a few hours of channel flipping and making fun of their other roommate's DVD collection, we decided to go out for dinner. (Seriously, Kristen ... the "Seventh Heaven" collection?)

Keep in mind that my heart had been set on dinner at the Steak Kountry Buffet. Not because I had ever eaten there or because it had a good reputation, but because I was sick of PB&J and the thought of a full buffet was too good to pass up. When we drove by it earlier, workers were removing plywood from the windows and one guy was spray-painting "Now Open" on one of the boards. As far as I knew, it was the only restaurant open in the greater Houston area and they were ready for me.

Dinner at Steak Kountry Buffet. Desparate times call for desparate measures.

But then Clay showed up and saved us. Like an angel sent from on high to announce the good news, he shared that the Luby's at Town & Country was open for business. Steak Kountry Buffet was moved back to where it belong -- on the blacklist of dining establishments. I feasted on fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, green beans, rolls, and Coke -- cold Coke with ice.

I had gone about 5 or 6 hours without power and wimped out. I had fled to the shelter of a friend and became nearly delusional until there was a hot Luann Platter in my belly. My question yesterday about whether I was heroic or idiotic has been answered.

I am pathetic.

No comments: