9.15.2006

"Lost" and Found

Weeks ago, I lost my wallet. Talk about frustrating. Since I often eat here at work in the Garden Cafe and charge it to my bill, it took about a day or so before I realized I didn't have my wallet anymore. I just never needed it.

I searched my car, my office, and, yes, even my bedroom for the wallet. Since many of you know how notoriously disastrous my room is, that was quite an endeavor. In fact, I held out hope for a few days before cancelling my cards thinking that somehow, in the midst of the debris field that is my room, my wallet would appear. But it did not.

So, I cancelled my debit and credit card, mourned the loss of my laminated picture of me and George W. Bush, and came to grips with the reality that I would have to venture to the DPS office to get a new driver license.

Fortunately, Catha Duck and Laura Bell needed to go to the DPS, too. One of them lost her license and one of them let her license expire. Catha sent an Evite to me and Laura (the smallest Evite I've ever received) inviting us to join her on a trip to the DPS.

Our trip could be a whole blog entry in itself. The process of just getting to the DPS office was eventful enough. Once we arrived ... well, that's when the hilarity really began. I was reminded while there that if you ever need an ego boost, go to to the DPS office. You are almost certain to be the best looking person there. Unless, of course, you go with Catha and Laura. (How sweet was that?)

Anywho ... I bought a cheap wallet at Target to replace the one I lost. My new debit and credit cards came with all new numbers that I have to memorize. And I'm constantly having to update automatic billing information as vendors send me notices that they could not process my payment since the debit card is no longer valid. What a hassle. And I hate hassles. Hate 'em.

But on Wednesday of this week, while doing some laundry, I felt a suspicous lump. There it was -- my wallet, securely located in the front pocket of a pair of khakis along with a grape Jolly Rancher.

I know what you're thinking. "Why grape? Watermelon is the best!" Well, that's what some of you are thinking. The rest of you are thinking, "Why didn't you check your dirty clothes earlier?"

I did. I just overlooked it. Again, consider the context of my room. Needle in a haystack, folks. Needle in a haystack.

For me, the moral of the story is this: I have too many pants. If I can go for over a month and not need that pair of khakis in the rotation, I have a problem. Either I have too many, or I wear the same pairs too often. Either way, it ain't right.

So, my wallet is back, $53 is safe, and my picture of me and W is ready to show off. The best part of all this? My driver license photo reflect 4 years of haircuts -- or lack thereof.

1 comment:

David Hilburn said...

It's a haystack.

But it doesn't have to be.