1.11.2007

Unbelievable

This is unbelievable to me ...

I met up with a friend of mine whom I've known since 3rd grade. He decided to quit his job after being there for nearly 15 years, so I wanted to catch up with him to see what was going on.

I asked if he would mind running by the post office while we were nearby. I wanted to check the status of a package I had mailed, and hoped they could give me an update on it.

When I gave the postal clerk my name, she looked me up in their system. My package had not arrived at its destination yet. But, surprisingly, they had some packages for me that I wasn't even expecting! Rather sheepishly, the postal clerk acknowledged that they found some packages that had never been delivered.

She went in the back and wheeled them out on a cart -- about 8 or 10 packages of different shapes and sizes, several showing the bumps and dents one might expect from a package that lost its way.

There was one from my Aunt Betty Lou, from whom I have never received a package. There was one from George Foreman, presumably one of his grills. (The fact that I may have ordered a grill and not noticed that I hadn't received it was somewhat troubling!) The rest of the packages were from sources I didn't recognize or didn't care about. No telling what I was going to find!

My friend's car was too small to hold the boxes, so we decided to take me home so I could get my car and come back for the load.

The whole time this was unfolding, I kept thinking to myself, "This has GOT to go on my blog! Nobody will ever believe this, but I've got to tell the story!"

Just then ... I woke up.

That's right. It was a dream. And I'm posting it here because I had to share that even within the context of a dream, I was thinking about blogging a story from my life.

Is that messed up or what?

3 comments:

Elbie Adams said...

Yes, It's messed up. But, I love the part about the Joe Fo!

Ulovebeth said...

Do you own the blog or does the blog own you?

David Hilburn said...

I've had some weird dreams lately. In the first, I stole the body of my grandmother from her casket at the funeral home, and while driving around Natchitoches, LA, she came back to life. Apparently, she had some sort of delayed reaction with her pacemaker/defibrolator device. For the record, both of my grandmothers are quite healthy.

In the second, weirder (it's true) dream, I am wrapped up in a red bread wrapper and placed on a bread tray. Each time I moved my feet in an effort to get comfortable on the bed (it's not easy to share a bed with a dog sometimes), I dreamed I was being lifted from the bread tray and squeezed, and then repositioned on the bread tray. Apparently, at some point I got comfortable, but the bread tray remained the same, at which point I discovered that Lonnie Edwards was going to be a Bear. Lonnie Edwards is a Brownsboro (TX) High School senior offensive lineman who was committed to attend Baylor then switched his commitment to Texas Tech.

I told you it was weird.