8.28.2007

The very best post I've ever made ... EVER

I am down-right, beside-myself, thrilled-beyond-words, giddy-like-a-kid-on-Christmas-morning happy to tell you that I am officially engaged!

The big moment went down last night in the HFBC Worship Center. Yesterday was Amanda’s 31st birthday, so we made plans to go to dinner. When I picked her up, I told her, "Honey, I hate to be "that guy" but I have to run up to work. I forgot to leave something on somebody's desk." She was very understanding, so we headed that way.

Since it was raining, I knew she wouldn’t want to get out of the car and come in with me. (Like me, she is very concerned about her hair getting too big when wet.) So, I mentioned that the Worship Center stage was set up beautifully for a taping that was taking place on Tuesday. "Is it 'wedding' beautiful? Could I get some ideas?" she asked. "Yes! You should come in and see!" Problem solved.

We went to my office, took care of the fake errand, and then walked into the choir loft from the 2nd floor entrance. The house lights were all down and only the stage was lit. Free-standing panels blocked her view of the set-up with two chairs and some candles. Once she saw that the candles were already lit, she knew this wasn't for a taping the next day!

Here's what happened next: I read Proverbs 31 to her, shared some personal words, got down on one knee, presented the ring (with 31 stones) to her and asked her if she would marry me. (In case you're not following along, she said "yes.") Then we went down to the prayer rail and read through a prayer guide I had prepared. As we returned to the stage, Watermark's "Made for You" began playing and we danced while rose petals rained on us from up above.

When the song ended, I told her I forgot something and went off stage down one of the ramps where Laura Bell (Amanda's roommate) was waiting with Amanda's four-year old son, Braden. (They had been watching the whole thing from the back of the Worship Center.) I brought Braden out to Amanda and explained to him what I had just done and what it meant – that mommy would be my wife and that I would be his daddy. Using a prayer guide prepared in advance, I prayed for Braden and blessed him. Then, I presented him with a statue of a father and son – and he did not want to put it down, despite our fears that he might break it!

Since it was Amanda's birthday, I told her that the ring was for the engagement, but the Bible that I read Proverbs 31 from was for her birthday. I presented the Bible to her – with "Amanda G. Murray" inscribed on the cover.

Finally, I told them both that I had one more surprise in store. I went off stage again and returned with my alto saxophone that I've had since my sophomore year in high school. Since my schedule this weekend and yesterday was much busier than anticipated, I ended up having to sight read the song for only the 2nd time right then and there! Despite missing more than a few notes along the way, she could still make it out – "The Best Is Yet To Come." And it surely is!

A couple of other moments to share:

  • When I got down on one knee, Laura Bell explained to Braden that I was asking his mommy to marry me. He said, "Now?" and took off running toward the stage. He knows that he will be a part of the wedding, so he must have thought that THIS was the wedding and that he was missing out! Fortunately, LB caught him before he made it to the stage.

  • At the prayer rail, I discovered that I had placed the "test" copy of the prayer guide for me to use with one side printed upside down. Oh, the irony!

  • When we were done on stage and chatting with the folks who had helped out, Braden tried playing the saxophone. He kept pressing the buttons over and over again. "It's not working!" he exclaimed. He missed the whole part about having to blow into it.

  • Finally, when we left the church, we discovered that Amanda's car had been broken into in the church parking lot. Her work backpack was stolen, but there was nothing valuable inside -- unless you consider a broken pair of heels and some control-top undergarments valuable!

Thanks to Laura Bell (all-around secret agent and baby-sitter), Micah Dene (rose petal dropper), Becky Smith (decorator), Lincoln and Priscilla Goodwin (sound technicians), and Chad Hamm and Don Munton (plastic bag installers on broken car window) for their help!

19 comments:

Erin said...

Awesome... CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Stan Kwan said...

Since when did they allow DANCING in the church? :D

Mike D. said...

Steven,

EXCELLENT news! Congratulations to you and Amanda. I pray the LORD would bless your new lives together.

I'm going to send this great news to the folks in Employee Development... I'm sure they would love to hear it.

Mike D.

Stan Kwan said...

Since when did they allow DANCING on the church premises? :D

KayeG said...

You are such a drama king! Congratulations and Hallelujah!!
I am sitting here getting goose bumps. Out of everyone else you know, I have been waiting for this moment for the longest and I am thrilled at the prospect of seeing you walk down that aisle.
God bless you and your new family.
I hope you share all the good stuff in the planning with me. Let's get the gang together and do lunch really soon.
Love you,
Kaye Sutton (your real soul sister)

Unknown said...

Corngratulations, Steven! You are right - the best post ever. All the best to you, Amanda, and Braden. God bless you all. Kelly, Elliana and I will see you at the wedding! Dean

Anonymous said...

I love it!

Alyssa said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

David Hilburn said...

You've done well, Mur. From the 2006 edition of Murray Christmas, when LB and I noticed a little extra attention being spent on Amanda (or as I like to refer to her -- Menanda), to NYC when there were some times that I actually had to ask myself if that was Murray had been smitten (you had, but didn't want to admit it then).

You two are two of my favorite people ever, and I don't have to say how much Braden means to me (he's such a special Little Guy). I am blessed to know Murray and Menanda before there was a Murray and Menanda, but I am even more blessed to witness the two of you coming together, realizing the goodness of God's blessings in and for each other, and my heart overflows with your news and happiness.

I better stop now; I'm getting a little verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves ... I'll give you a topic: Rhode Island -- it's not a road, nor is it an island. Discuss.

David Hilburn said...

Oh, if I were you, I'd edit the remarks that reveal her age and that she uses control top undergarments. I'm sure they'll cover that in pre-marital classes.

Lori Latham said...

Amen and Hallelujah my friends! No doubt God has great things planned in each of your lives. Braden could not wish for a greater daddy!

Paper said...

Wow... we're so excited for you! And what a beautiful proposal...

The Parks

Unknown said...

Congratulations to you both.

Jen said...

Congrats to both of you! You made me cry! :)

BearChick said...

Murray,

Dave's Island friend Kristen here... Congrats to you and Amanda both. That is SUCH a great engagement story! I got tears reading it. (I'm also pregnant and hormonal, so make of that what you will.) I hope you and Amanda will be as happy as Brian and I are.

All the best,

Kristen Ethridge

PS, Dave said he'd pay me five bucks if I asked if you're gonna kiss her now. Hmmm.

Unknown said...

Amazing! I knew you would have a GREAT engagement story. I love the "31" touches. Congratulations. :-)

Sassy Shae said...

That's awesome! I'm glad you danced in the worship center before the big renovation so they could make repairs in case the roof caved in or lightning struck. :)

Ulovebeth said...

If you need me to sing at the weddding or be a flower girl, just let me know.
Remember. A wedding is not a show, it's a ceremony.

CONGRATS!!

FitzandMolly said...

Me and Roomdog are SOOO being the flower girls for this. Sorry buddy - you have no say in the matter.