11.28.2005

My Tour Of Duty

For me, jury duty is like a dream vacation with so many of my passions coming together into one experience.

A variety of people from all walks of life. Exposure to the legal system. Anticipation about the surprises -- and drama -- that may be around the corner. A great equalizer where all people -- regardless of race, age, gender, income, education, etc. -- have an equal say in the process. Democracy in action. A day off from work. I love it.

So you'll understand how disappointed I was when my juror number was never even called. I never left the assembly room except to go to the vending machines and the Burger King (or "Burger Doodle" as the bailiff called it) across the street. It's like going on that dream vacation but never getting off the airplane.

Regardless, I enjoyed my time there.

In a room of hundreds of people randomly selected from throughout Harris County, I saw four people that I know (to varying degrees, of course). Actually, to say that I "know" some of them is a real stretch.

There was a maintenance guy from M. D. Anderson Cancer Center (where I work). I do not know his name. There is a guy who I know has visited HFBC, but who really attends Second Baptist (I think). I do not know his name. There was the former CEO of ConocoPhillips -- a Christian man named Archie Dunham. I recognized his name when it was called out by the bailiff.

And then there was Laura Wilcox. She is the only person I can say that I really "knew" at jury duty. Laura and I met through our mutual friend Lane Alexander. Lane and Laura (and Kelley Kirby) went to NYC on a mission trip after 9/11. Laura is on staff with Priority Associates here in H-Town, the marketplace ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ. She was quick to express her disappointment that "Murray Christmas" had been cancelled.

I wish I had more to share about my tour of duty today. But not much transpires in the assembly room. I read a little, text messaged a little, played Bejeweled on my cell phone a little, watched TV a little. I was surprised that they had Fox News showing in the assembly room. Couldn't stories about crimes (with images of suspects) potentially bias jurors right before they are put on a panel?

Anyway ... my dream vacation was cut short. They sent me home at 3:00 pm. For the record, I have seen WAY too many episodes of Law & Order for them to put my sharp legal mind to waste. WAY too many!



2 comments:

yi said...

i went to jury duty once. i saw people i knew there too! one of them a girl from my high school i hadn't seen in years. crazy.

erin vanv said...

I think you just wanted time off from work :)