3.19.2007

True Love Waits - and Laughs!

On Sunday in the Real Deal (the Sunday Bible study I teach), I may have experienced my newest most embarrassing moment. Here's how it all went down ...

We were reviewing the latest unit that we just completed in our curriculum. I presented some "real world" scenarios to the class and asked them to discuss how the lessons we've studied could be applied to each one.

One of the scenarios was:

You work in a small office where there are no other Christians. Discussions often include accusations about the church in general and about the validity of Christianity. Also, every word you say and action you take is critiqued by some co-workers against what they believe is appropriate for a “so-called Christian.”

When we debriefed as a class after each table had talked about it, Robert shared how we are to be set apart (or "holy") and to truly live differently than those around us. (Side note: Pastor Gregg talked about the same thing in his sermon later that night. I love it when God works that way!) This scenario connected with our study of Jesus' words and actions during His trial and how even in the midst of being persecuted, He remained focused on the hearts of others.

Just as we were about to move on to the next scenario, Amanda raised her hand. (In case you have stumbled across this blog and do not know Amanda, let me introduce her to you: she's my girlfriend.)

Amanda looked straight at me and said, "I want to share something, but if it's not appropriate, please cut me off. Seriously -- just give me a signal and cut me off."

[GULP!]

She proceeded to share the story of how her co-workers have responded to our relationship. After the first or second date (and no later), some of her colleagues asked if we had "done it" yet. (Classy, huh?) When Amanda shared with them that we had not, they responded with pity and "I'm so sorry" sympathy.

She continued to share in class how these co-workers would frequently ask for updates and if there was any "progress" on that aspect of our relationship. Much to their dismay, she continued to tell them that there was nothing to report -- and that there wouldn't be anything to report.

Eventually, their reaction began to change. While they started out hoping and cheering for Amanda to ... um ... "do it" when our relationship began, they later switched their tune and cheered for her for not doing it. Her story became a sort of inspiration to them.

"You go, Amanda!" she mimicked out loud in class. "If he asks for it, you tell him NO!"

That's when the class erupted. Full on exploded with laughter. Where was I? At the front of the room, face down on the podium, burning up. I literally started to sweat. I'm told I was this color.

When I was finally able to catch my breath from laughing, I assured the class: "For the record, I have not asked for it!"

Good times! Good times!

P.S. Thanks, sweetheart, for the memory! =)

4 comments:

Todd Richards said...

I (being in another class nearby)heard the laughter... and just thought you were being particularly funny in class. Good times, indeed!

Lori Latham said...

By far, the most spectacular funny moment in a bible study class. It was FANTASTIC!

The Bride said...

May this be the first of many!

Alicia said...

Cost of gas to get to church $2
Cost of dinner after church $11
The look on Steven Murray's face on Sunday in class, PRICELESS!!!