7.05.2007

Where's a red pen (or chisel) when I need one?

Just a few random observations from the past week ...

(1) This is from one of my frequent lunch spots. The misspellings abound there, as evidenced by this sample from their whiteboard menu. Not pictured here is another offer for "free" chips and queso with a certain purchase. Why the word "free" is in quotes makes me suspicious. What's the hidden cost?



(2) One of my all-time favorite spots in Galveston is La King's Confectionery on the Strand. Sadly, I will never be able to wear one of their t-shirts. If you ever want to visit, please keep in mind that they are on Galveston Island, Texas ... not Galveston, Island Texas.



(3) I don't have a picture of this one, but I also noticed a punctuation error on a tombstone at the beautiful Glenwood Cemetery on Washington Avenue. There was a granite stone with the family name in the middle of a small section of land, surrounded by grave markers of the individual family members. I won't use their real name, so let's just say it was the Smith family. That center marker -- announcing to the world who was buried there -- said Smith's. Shouldn't it read just Smith, or Smiths, or -- if the Smith family wanted to let others know that the land indeed belonged to them -- Smiths'? A punctuation error on an engraved granite tombstone. Wow.

No comments: