9.13.2007

Twinkies are Fruit

While in the Nashville area for a conference, a group of us from Houston headed to Dotson's Restaurant for dinner in historic downtown Franklin.

It's listed as a "meat and three" place and that's what I had -- meat and three sides. Meat loaf, green beans, mac 'n' cheese, and sweet potato casserole, to be exact. I should have journaled before I ate. That dinner changed my life.

I was impressed by the selection of vegetables from which to choose. In addition to my three choices above, they had white beans, lima beans, baby carrots, fried okra, scalloped tomatoes, turnip greens, spinach, beets, squash, cream corn ... and Jello.

Our group wondered if the Jello was in the form of a Jello mold with broccoli or peas or cauliflower floating in it -- anything to justify calling it a vegetable. Nobody was willing to waste one of their "and three" choices on a dare, so we'll never know.

1 comment:

mn3guy said...

Great "meat and three" choice, Steven. Dotson's has a lot of history and many fans from years of visits. It's been close to a year since I ate at Dotson's with my 12-year-old son, and it was "very" good that crisp November day. I also used to work in Franklin several years ago and had many fine lunches there. Of course, there are a ton of meat-and-three choices in Nashville and Middle Tennessee, so check one of them out when you come back to Music City.

Phil (mn3guy)
http://www.meatandthree.com