2.07.2006

My Last Day

My last day of making cancer history at M. D. Anderson was January 27. Thanks to all of you who prayed for me that day so I wouldn't "lose it" like I thought I would. No tears were shed on my part, but there were a few from my co-workers. And I have to admit that I choked up as I walked out of the building for the last time. M. D. Anderson is a phenomenal place and I had the privilege or working with a talented and fun team.

For my "farewell" party, co-workers really went all out. In the background, there was a slide show of pictures from throughout the past few years, accompanied by well-selected music. My co-workers had picked up on things I had said in the last few weeks and built a "soundtrack" for the occasion with songs I liked or that had special meaning -- such as "Hail To The Chief" and "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" and "We Got The FUnk" and more.

For food, there were two bowls of punch -- one gold and one green (Sic 'Em Bears!). The cake was red, white and blue and was set up in front of the "SWM 2008" poster from my surprise birthday party in 2003 (which I had kept in my office ever since).

For a memento, they had people sign a book or send in stories or well wishes that they compiled into a scrapbook for me. Not knowing they were going to do that, I brough my white labcoat for people to sign -- the labcoat that I kept in my office and threatened to put on any time I needed respect or authority. (That's a "hospital thing" if you don't get the joke.)

So ... my last day was a good day. Until the last 10 minutes.

As I was finishing up the mass-deletion of files and programs off my laptop, I accidentally deleted several important folders -- not just files, but folders filled with files. It was about 6:00 pm on a Friday when this happened, so everybody else had already left for the weekend. So, on Monday, as I was on the road to my "pre-sabbatical" in the Hill Country, I called the tech guy and asked if we had a backup of the files. We did. Thank God. My reputation was spared!

No comments: