8.08.2006

Santa Claus ain't nothin'!

Here are some things that I believed at some point in my youth. Since I'm in my mid-thirties, let me clarify that by "youth" I mean 10 years old and younger.

Feel free to share some of your childhood beliefs (or misunderstandings), as well!
  1. When born, babies came out of their mother's belly button.
  2. Stoplights were placed there to give drivers a break every once in a while. That's why I thought the people who built highways were so inconsiderate.
  3. Just as children attended the school closest to them, people were supposed to attend the church closest to them.
  4. When I read on the cover of a magazine that Lynda Carter was "the most beautiful woman in the world," I thought to myself, "Well, I guess they finally found her." Then I felt sorry for my mom, my teachers, and the women at my church because it had been made official and they had no reason to try to be pretty.

OK. Your turn.

3 comments:

palomita said...

I used to believe that if our car was the first over the railroad tracks after the train went by, our tires might melt. Strange that as a child I sort of understood the concept of friction (but didn't know the word), and yet didn't grasp that there was no danger of melted tires...

Erin said...

I thought that "jay-walking" was actually walking around naked. You know, like "naked as a jaybird."

Lori Latham said...

I used to believe that if you swallowed the seeds of fruit you would grow a fruit tree in your belly.