2.21.2007

Proof that I live in Mayberry

After a long day of back-to-back meetings from 8:30 this morning until 7:30 this evening, I finally pulled out of the parking lot at work and headed home.

On the way, I called one of my comfort food places near my house and placed a "to go" order. (Let's call it Philadexas.) After scarfing down a quick bite at lunchtime, I was hungry and ready to go home and just crash.

Therefore, when I pulled into the restaurant parking lot and realized that I had left my wallet in my desk, I was crushed. Devastated. Annoyed. Frustrated. Famished.

So, do I pull away and go home and leave the restaurant with unclaimed food, or do I go in and tell them to throw it away?

I decided to go inside, secretly hoping to see somebody I know sitting inside who may be willing to spot me the money. No such luck. Not a familiar face in the whole place.

But fortunately, I was a familiar face to the manager. When I explained my situation, he looked at me and handed me my order. "I recognize you. You come in here a lot. You'll just owe me double the next time."

As the people around me at the bar (where you pick up "to go" orders) looked me over, I'm pretty sure that they thought I was pulling a fast one on the guy. I felt compelled to explain to him (for their ears) that I would come by tomorrow and pay for my food. ("Sure he will," I could hear them thinking.)

I promise I will.

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

So was the same manager there when you stopped by to pay for the food?

Lori Latham said...

This happened to me once at Daily Grind. Thank goodness I'm so unforgettable!

Steven and Amanda said...

That happened to me at the Grind once, too. I wish it would happen at a Mercedes dealership.