1.12.2008

The Eagle has Fallen

Today is Saturday, January 12 -- my first full day in our new home on Eagle Falls Street.

The good folks from Cantu Moving showed up at my townhouse on Friday at 9:00 am sharp. Too sharp, actually. I overslept and spent the first hour or so helping them move in my glasses and morning hair. Not my best look, but one of the guys said they were used to it. By 11:15 am, we were packed up and on the road. By 1:30 or so, the trucks were unloaded and I was starting to arrange the furniture. Amazing. To all of my friends out there reading this whom I did not ask to help me move (and that's all of you) -- you're welcome!

Life out here in the 'burbs is off to a fine start. Here's a recap of what I've experienced so far:
  • The first "tragedy" from the move -- I dropped a candle in a glass jar on the kitchen floor. Shards all over the place. Nice.
  • Amanda and I unpacked some things while Braden was at Parents' Night Out at HFBC. We decided to go get something to eat before picking him up. She recommended either an Italian place of some kind or Wing Stop. Since she was sportin' a polo shirt with her company logo embroidered on the front, we opted for Wing Stop. "Honey, you're dressed for wings," I had to tell her.
  • Today, Braden (in socked feet) slipped on the wood floors and fell into one of the end tables. I was sure that he hit his head on the corner and that we would be finding the nearest emergency room sooner than expected. Turns out, he just bummed his knee and was fine after a minute or so. The wood floor, however, has a scratch to commemorate the first accident.
  • This afternoon, we ordered Girl Scout cookies from a neighbor across the street. Amanda and Braden were here visiting this afternoon so the girl's mom gave us a rundown of who lives on the street and where all the kids are. Thin Mints have been ordered and all is right with the world!
  • I fixed a leak behind the washing machine. Both faucets were dripping and managed to get the utility room floor all wet. My first thought was that I would have to go to Lowe's and figure out what part I needed to buy to fix it. Then, my eyes fell on a wrench laying out on the kitchen table and I had a sudden jolt of "do it yourself" confidence rush through me. A few good twists and the problem was fixed.
  • Finally, I called to set up our cable with Comcast. Turns out, I cannot transfer my 713 home phone number to this part of town. We now have a 281 home phone number. Thank God I had already experienced giving up stakes in the ground and discovered the joy that can be found when we do. Otherwise, I may have cursed the woman out.

As I type this, Amanda is off getting a manicure and Braden is practicing his mad dance moves to "Cha Cha Slide" in the kitchen. He's brushing up for the reception. I've tought him how to replay the song on the iPod. He's wrapping up his fourth time through the song.

Just another day in the 'burbs!

1 comment:

Aimée said...

Since you're in the neighborhood, I'd like to recommend a great doc in the box nearby (i.e., minor emergency clinic) - Suburban Physicians Center at Dairy Ashford and I-10. I went there for years for my allergy shots, immunizations for India, minor illnesses and such. Say Hi to Dr. B and Nurse Carol (the owners) for me if you stop in!