11.12.2006

Interesting IM behavior

I've observed some interesting behavior when it comes to instant messaging.

Maybe my friends are all perfectionists. Maybe they think I have the IQ of a fork. Or maybe they are afraid of making a mistake in a message to a guy who finds misspellings and formatting inconsistencies on restaurant menus. (Yep. I'm that guy.)

Regardless of why it happens, here's what I've observed: When instant messaging, my friends are compelled to self-correct their typos in an apparent effort to clarify any confusion their typos may have caused me.

Here's a sample (though fictional) conversation:

me: how are you doing?
Friend: i'm just fine
me: where did you go this weekend?
Friend: we went to ausitn
austin
me: what did y'all do?
Friend: visited some of out friends
i mean "our" friends


Seriously? Are these corrections really necessary? Does my friend really think that I am sitting there scratching my head or searching Google Maps trying to figure out where Ausitn is?

I may not have mastered sudoku yet, but I think I'm able to solve these IM word jumbles pretty easily.

I prmoise!

1 comment:

Ulovebeth said...

There's a guy at BerryHills counter on Post Oak that is a great Sudoku teacher. He was my Sudoku sensei, and he taught me the ancient art of Sudoku. You will know it is him by the star tattoo on his forearm. Through his training, I have worked up to "Medium" level.
Oh, and I stopped IMing. I don't have the patience for it anymore. It's too much like a bad game of Battleship.