11.17.2006

Today, I was a Grandpa

Today was Grandparents' and Special Friends' Day at First Baptist Academy. Abby (12) and Isaiah (5), children of Denise and Don (HFBC's Singles Minister), asked me to be their "grandpa" for the day.

I was honored ... and humored, too. Clearly, I fall in the "special friend" category. But since that sounds a little too much like "domestic partner" I'm happy to be considered a grandpa.

When I arrived at Isaiah's kindergarten room, some of the other legitimate grandparents were already there. Apparently, each child had introduced their respective grandparents and told the other students what they call them, such as "Granny" or "Pops" or whatever.

Isaiah got up, came over and stood by me and told his classmates, "This is Steven. I call him Steven." Then he sat down.

Short. Sweet. To the point. Fantastic.

No comments: