12.13.2007

Violet Beauregarde: Smuggler?

I called the wrecker service in Falfurrias. (There's a phrase I've never said before.) The kind receptionist confirmed that the Explorer was, indeed, used to smuggle illegal aliens. Nice.

And even though I explained that I am no longer the owner, she said that -- by law -- she has to mail me a second notice "41 days" from the date it was impounded. However, she says that I do not have to take any action at all. I'm not totally at ease with that, so I may try to track down a more reassuring resolution.

On top of that, I just received the vehicle registration renewal notice for the now-impounded Explorer. The kind lady at Paul Bettencourt's office said that I could disregard the notice, but that I should fill out and mail in form VTR 346 to notify the state that I no longer own this car. Ah ... government!

It's a sad end for this faithful 1995 Explorer.

It was my brother's car until he handed it down to me a few years ago. Those of you who ever saw it know that Jeff had an affinity for the color blue: blue paint, blue seats, blue dashboard, blue radio. I often felt like I was Violet Beauregarde in the Chocolate Factory.

Big and blue. Very, very blue.

2 comments:

Ulovebeth said...

I thought it was kinda blue green? I'm so sorry for the abuse your car has endured. Or maybe it was just an Explorer longing for exploration. See what happens when we wander away from the safety of our loved ones? (or when they abandon us.) just saying that you let old blue go...You just had to upgrade!!

David Hilburn said...

AT 10:00 a.m. on Dec. 12, some unnamed friend told you (Google chat archives are a wonderful thing: "you csn [sic] go to DMV and pay about $15 to file a notice that you no longer own the car associated with those plates"

He's a Genius!