4.24.2006

A Different Kind Of News

Long story short ... I'm going to Cuba.

Long story a little less short ... somebody had to back out of the trip with Summit Ministries at HFBC. Another person had to fill the spot by today in order to get the new person's name on the ticket (or something like that). I was available ... yada yada yada ... I'm going to Cuba.

In 1989, I went on a tour of Europe, including a few days in Moscow. It was the summer before the Wall came down, so the Soviets were still calling the shots. Knowing that we would be meeting with college students during our trip, I packed various magazines with Reagan or Gorbachev on the cover. Or were they winning lottery tickets? Or long-lost relatives? Whatever they were, the students responded with exuberant shouts and joyful tears. I will never forget that encounter -- if not for their appreciation, then for the poorly lit discotheque in which it took place.

So back I go to a communist nation. Not sure yet what the rules are about items we can or cannot bring in to Fidel's island. (I'm only familiar with what we cannot bring out!) However, this time I'll be bringing a different type of news -- the good news!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

You can't bring beef jerky...in case you were wondering. :)