4.22.2006

Nights Of The Long Table

Why is it that large groups always insist on sitting at one long table at restaurants?

(I would ask why do large groups of Christians always insist upon it, but I'm not sure that it's just us. Since I'm rarely in large groups of non-believers, I cannot really attest to their seating preferences.)

Think this through with me:

  • Sitting at one long table doesn't enable you to speak to every person at the table. Sound does not travel any faster or better through contiguous tables. I still cannot hear the person sitting twelve people away from me.
  • When putting tables together, you lose seats. Two tables of four make one table for six -- unless you have people who like sitting on the crack, and who likes that?
  • Sitting at one long table is risky business for people who like to talk. We've all been there. You sit in the middle thinking you've cased out the best seat, with access to everyone, only to find yourself in no-man's-land between conversations at either end of the table.
  • Many Sunday Bible studies in the singles department have "dinner for 6" events so people in the class can get to know people in a more intimate setting. Why not make every lunch or dinner with the class just as intimate and simply sit at the tables and booths as you find them?
(Ironically, after softball tonight, I went to dinner with The Shed (my former class). I was the first one to get there and grabbed a long picnic table that would seat about 20 people. Knowing how peeps would want a long table, I figured I would grab one already in place. That way, only three tables had to be moved for the rest of the group. Nice compromise.)

Perhaps the greatest concern of mine is the impact on the restaurant workers. At the risk of sounding holier-than-thou, it troubles me to see large groups rearrange a restaurant and then leave it how they left it -- not how they found out.

Think about it. Everybody in the group chips in to move the tables and chairs (since it ain't always easy work). But then the same amount of work is often left to one underpaid busboy (or girl) to put it all back in place. That's not cool, and for a church group, that's not a good witness.

So, why the desire to be shoulder-to-shoulder with 20 people? My best guesses:
  • People believe that proximity demonstrates their unity. Or perhaps, that their unity will increase due to their proximity.
  • People fear being stuck at a table of 4 with people they do not know -- or with people they know but with whom they do not care to talk. There is safety in numbers.

(Am I anywhere close to being right?)

My friends have known for years that this is a pet peeve of mine -- an annoyance that I just cannot shake. I feel like this is a one-man crusade against nights of the long tables (or afternoons if you go to morning church).

If you and I are ever in a large group together and we go to lunch or dinner, come join me in my booth or at my table for four. I look forward to getting to know you!

5 comments:

Rainy said...

I do not know you. I found you one day while Googling Marge Caldwell.

I have periodically checked back at your blogs. Never to comment mind you until now. I think you did get it right. Warm fuzzies ran up my spine when I recalled yesterdays lunch. I was the first to arrive, I knew there were tables that needed to be placed together, and not just one long table.. but two.. a huge group of single parents and their kids.

Where did I end up? Somewhere in the middle and with only one person to talk to. I like the idea of sitting at a table for 4. I'll do it next time.

Cheers

Erin said...

Steven, I couldn't agree more. I have found myself in way too many situations where I was embarrassed at the way a group of Christians represent ourselves in restaurants. Besides leaving a huge mess with the tables and chairs, there is also often the issue of not tipping well, after the extra hard work the waiters have been put through for a group of our size. And not to mention, sometimes we just act like children. All this accompanied by our loud group prayer (because it needs to be loud enough for everyone at the table of 27 to hear) announcing to the entire restaurant that these buffoons are the salt of the earth. I will join you in your booth for 4 next time we are at a dinner together!!

Troy said...

Personally, I enjoy sitting at long tables. Let me list my reasons:
- I like ignoring the person sitting next to me so that I can nose my way into the conversation that is going on three people to my left.

- I also like the super-long, extended wait for a table for 20+.

- I love trying to coerce the wait staff to split the check. If they won't, then you get to play "pass the receipt" as everyone writes down how much they want charged to their card. And, waiters always love to pass back 20 sets of credit cards and pens.

- Let's not forget about the inefficiency of having one waiter instead of the multiple waiters you would have if you split into different tables.

David Hilburn said...

Murray -- Party for one.

Steven and Amanda said...

Whew! What a relief!

It's great to know that others out there are on my side with this. Maybe we can all sit at one big table and talk about it over dinner sometime. iVIVA LA REVOLUCION!

Hilburn - please don't try to use my name to get a table. That trick won't work, especially since I don't wear green shoes. :-)