4.21.2006

Miss Ellie Is Turning In Her Grave

This article just took the wind out of my sails on San Jacinto Day.

Even though I despise the city of Dallas with every fiber of my being, I was a big fan of the show by the same name. (Weren't we all?) To see such a fine piece of our American TV heritage tainted like this is just too much to take.

J.Lo as Sue Ellen? Actually, I guess I can see that one. She can be tough, and she can play the victim card quite well. On top of that, the girl does like her bling. Adding a Hispanic to the cast may be a first, too. Good casting.

But Vinny Barbarino as J.R. Ewing? No. Not cool. Not cool at all. Unacceptable. Completely unacceptable. I would have cast any number of other people as J.R. before John "Battlefield Earth" Travolta.

For starters, how about Matthew McConaughey? He's got the accent, the swagger. (Note: I have used the word "swagger" in two consecutive posts. Not so sure I've ever used the word "swagger" in two consecutive years.)

Matthew too young? How about Harrison Ford. He's got the age factor, and can look wealthy and distinguished when needed. Although, viewers tend to not like to hate Harrison -- and an earring wouldn't fly at Southfork.

What about Tommy Lee Jones? He's got the accent, too, and could certainly keep J.Lo in line (whatever that means). But maybe he's too rugged looking. I don't think J.R. ever did a hard day's work in his life.

I give up. Who do you think should play J.R.?

2 comments:

David Hilburn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
David Hilburn said...

Whom.

I don't mind Travolta and would certainly prefer Travolta over Naked Bongo Boy. JLo is a good Sue Ellen, especially if you remember that the original Sue Ellen was from the wrong side of the tracks. She mightb e a little too young.

Harrison Ford -- good choice. Alec Baldwin (if you can tolerate his politics, but since the owner of this blog tolerates Katie Couric's, he should be able to tolerate Baldwin's). Richard Gere? Tom Hanks?

Personally, I see Tommy Lee Jones more as Jock than I do JR, but either would work for me. I guess if you cast Wilford Brimley as Jock, TLJ could pull off JR.