1.18.2006

Do You Get It?

Some people categorize their friends like they categorize clothes. I have my good weather dress shoes and my rainy weather dress shoes. I have my normal pants and, um, -- let's just say my "new normal" pants.

For the most part, I have used late-night TV to categorize my friends. I have those who prefer Leno and those who prefer Letterman. Of course, I'm not sure which host all of my friends actually prefer. But when the truth comes to light, I file away that nugget of information for future use.

Now I have a new method of categorization: those who get "The Office" and those who do not.

I understand that there is a difference between liking it and getting it. I know people who get it, but do not like it. I am OK being seen with these people in public, even though they make me sad. But I also know people who do not like it because they do not get it. I am not OK with these folks. They trouble me.

I have heard rumors of people who do not get it but who actually like it. Do they know that they do not get it, but continue to watch it in hopes of figuring it out? Or do they not even know that they do not get it and are simply attracted to the show for reasons other than the humor? If you happen to be one of these people, let me know. I want to study you.

If you are a friend of mine and are reading this, let me reassure you -- I do not use these categorizations to judge your value as a person. They simply give me guidance on how best to communicate with you.

For example, I can interact with those who prefer Letterman and who get "The Office" much like a husband and wife who have been married for 47 years. A simple glance and a well-timed "uh-huh" can convey more meaning than an hour's worth of dialogue. When talking with someone who prefers Leno and who does not get "The Office", I try to speak slowly, use small words and keep my jokes on the 2nd grade level.

It would help me out a great deal if you could let me know how best to categorize you. Regarding "The Office" on NBC, which of the following best describes you?

(A) Get it / Like it
(B) Get it / Don't like it
(C) Don't get it / Like it
(D) Don't get it / Don't like it

6 comments:

Shanna said...

I get it, but I don't like it. In my defense, I get Office Space and like it.

Laurie said...

I get it AND I like it...I hope this means we can be friends. :)

Lori Latham said...

I get it and I love it!

Todd Richards said...

Get it/Like it

I watched it for the first time last week, and I think I laughed on some level (even if it was just in my head) for the entire 30 minutes it was on.

Ryan said...

Get it/Don't like it. It's like they are trying too hard to look like they're not trying too hard.

raj said...

i really like it...both get it and like it...
however i agree with erin...
the BBC one is by far superior. i recommend if you havn't seen it...rent the 2 seasons and special. (we own them all!)