1.09.2006

Unexpected Transitions


When I quit my job at Andersen Consulting (now Accenture) in 2000, I did not have a job lined up already. Dumb move. Twenty-one months later, I ended up at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center where I still am today.

But not for long.

Today, I submitted my resignation. With lessons learned under my belt, I already have a new job lined up this time. I guess the more accurate way to put that is to say that God has lined up one for me. I am resigning to pursue an opportunity that He dropped into my life -- one that I wasn't looking for, and one which I never expected to have.

I have accepted the position of Director of Communications at Houston's First Baptist Church.

Here's how God has worked . . . on December 6, David Self (Executive Pastor at HFBC) contacted me about my interest in this new position at the church. The month since that initial phone call has included meetings with David, lunch with Pastor Gregg, many conversations with Don Munton and other friends, several prayer request e-mails, a meeting with the Personnel Committee, approval by the Deacons –- and back-and-forth bouts of doubt and assuredness!

In this new role, I will report to David but work closely with Pastor Gregg to support his vision for HFBC. Departments I will oversee include Reprographics, Membership Services, the Garden Bookstore, and the Resource Center (or Library). While these may not all seem related to one another at first glance, each department impacts our ability to effectively communicate what HFBC is all about.

When I met with Gregg a couple of weeks ago, he mentioned in his prayer over our lunch that we were looking to see if there were an “intersection” between what God is doing at HFBC and what He is doing in my life. What a perfect way to put it! I could go on and on about the different ways in which God has confirmed that there is indeed such an intersection, but I won’t. Just take my word for it – I am assured that this is where God is calling me to go.

My last day at M. D. Anderson will be January 20 and my first day at HFBC will be February 1. Between the two, I plan to take a few days off to tie up some personal things and to go on a brief vacation. While I will enjoy some downtime to relax, I also want to spend time alone with God before I enter this new chapter of my life. I would appreciate your prayers for this to be a rejuvenating time with Him, and that I would be open to receiving a fresh vision from Him for this new ministry.
(And if you have any leads on a secluded getaway in the Hill Country, let me know!)

Let me say a few words about M. D. Anderson. One of the most painful aspects of this transition was coming to terms with the fact that I would be leaving such an incredible institution. What a blessing it has been to be a part of that place! The dedication of its people, the boldness of its mission, the achievements in its past, the promises in its future – it all adds up to a truly world-class organization.

My leaving M. D. Anderson is definitely the result of a “pull” toward another career – not a “push” away from this institution that I love and admire so greatly.

  • For those wanting a job, I recommend M. D. Anderson.
  • For those wanting to make a financial donation, I recommend M. D. Anderson.
  • For those seeking a place to volunteer, I recommend M. D. Anderson.
  • For those needing treatment, I recommend M. D. Anderson.

OK, I think I have communicated enough for now. Thanks for letting me share this with you. I would appreciate your prayers as I wrap up things at M. D. Anderson and prepare for this new chapter in my life.

3 comments:

Me said...

Steven, that is truly incredible! I have seen the Lord equip you for this position over the years I have known you, so I am excited to see what He does once you are there! Congratulations!

Alyssa said...

Wow, Steven! I'm so excited for you! I'll definitely be praying as the Lord continues to work in your life!

Jessica said...

That is fantastic... I can't wait to see the impact I know you will have in this role as you submit to the Lord's leadership. And personally, it is exciting to see the after-after life of Accenture. :)