1.08.2006

Going Once, Going Twice ... Uh, Never Mind

One of my favorite memories from Astroworld was the mini-bakery near the front entrance where you could buy mini-loaves of freshly baked bread. I bought many mini-loaves over the years. (No wonder I'm not a fan of the Atkins diet.)

Well, there was no bread at the Astroworld auction today, but it was good times nonetheless. And, I was quickly priced out of getting anything I wanted. For example, the "Please Remain Seated At All Times" sign from the Texas Cyclone went for $1,300. And a bench that I thought would somehow "work" in my house went for over $300.

No thanks.

The final day of public access to Astroworld (or at least to the backlot) drew out a random assortment of folks. I think most, like me, were curious onlookers hoping for a deal -- only to have those hopes dashed by bigger spenders.

There were older folks and younger folks (that's me) ... and people willing to put their dignity aside for a few minutes while they got down on the dirty floor to pick through hundreds of Astroworld shot glasses hoping to find one with their name on it.

Again ... no thanks.

As we left the grounds (Lori Latham went with me), we passed by Batman: The Escape -- or what is left of it, at least. What thousands of people used to stand in line for in the 117 degree heat and 97% humidity is now a partially disassembled pile of metal tracks. By the time you read this, it may already be completely taken down. I'm not too emotionally attached to this ride since it's not from the glory days of Astroworld (translation = my youth), but it seemed to capture the mood of the day.

Besides, I still miss the Dexter Freebish. Can I get an "AMEN!"?




















1 comment:

yi said...

hahahahaha! dexter freebish. are you talking about that photo of the coaster on their cd? i knew the singer in that band. he dated a friend from design school. but i think he changed his name b/c i swear his name was rob and now it's something else.