1.05.2006

Stealth Aggies

Not long before the Rose Bowl last night, I asked a friend of mine which team he was pulling for.

A quizzical expression on his face told me it wasn't an easy decision for him to make. He finally sided with Texas. His angst prompted me to ask him where he went to school. Turns out he went to Texas A&M.

Now, I'm pretty sure that I knew that, but there is nothing about him that serves as a constant reminder of his Aggie status. I never hear him talk about it, there is no decal on his car, he doesn't wear Wranglers. The fact that he went to A&M had slipped my mind completely.

When I pointed this out to him -- that his Aggieness was not detectable -- he had this to say:

"I enjoyed my time at A&M. It was a lot of fun while I was there. But in a way, A&M is like your high school girlfriend. It was fun while it lasted, but at some point, you just have to let it go and move on."

3 comments:

Lori Latham said...

Who is the cute couple?

Steven and Amanda said...

The cute couple is the result of a search for "high school prom" on Google!

erin vanv said...

That makes me sad for him.

I'm not crazy Aggie, but I did enjoy watching football with the Calgary A&M club. There's got to be something about a college that makes you instant friends with strangers you meet on the other side of the world..