10.26.2006

A Cardinals "Fan"

Without exception, if a team is not from Houston, I don't care about them. Civic pride tends to be my primary driver as opposed to true passion for the game.

When the Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee and a disturbing number of Houstonians switched their loyalties to Jerry Jones' thugs in Dallas (Boo! Hiss!), I held my ground. I simply did not care about the NFL during that time. Houston doesn't have a team? Then there was no need to watch -- much less support -- another team.

That's why I usually check out of baseball once the Houston Astros are eliminated. If our H-Town boys ain't in the running, why bother watching? Sure, I like baseball. That's not the problem. But I don't like it enough to sell out and support an enemy -- oops, I mean another team.

Which is why this is so stinkin' hard for me to confess: I would not mind if the Cardinals won the World Series.

There. I said it.

You'll notice that I did not say that I am cheering for them or actively supporting them. I simply said that I would not mind if they won. That is a huge step for me to admit that -- especially on the internet where it could come back to haunt me some day. (I guess I'll never be mayor of H-Town, huh?)

So, why this lukewarm endorsement of our divisional nemesis? Read this:

"Albert Pujols, probably the best first baseman in baseball, has been having a very tough series given that the Tigers are pitching around him during every at-bat and he isn't getting anything to hit. In the 8th inning of Game 3, Pujols was batting with one out and runners on second and third when he was hit with a 90+ mph fastball on the right thigh. Most great hitters would have been irate at being hit when up by 4 runs with first base open rather than simply being intentionally walked to set-up the double-play. The ball hit him in the thigh and rolled out in front of home plate. Pujols grimaced, picked up the ball and gave an underhand toss of the ball back to the pitcher. He then jogged to first base without a word or even a frustrated look at the pitcher. Tim McGarver, who is doing the color commentary for the WS, said "that is the most docile response to being hit, I've ever seen by a major league player."


Way to go, bro!

Are there Christians playing for the Detroit Tigers? Probably. But with all things being equal, I have to pull for the National League.

For the record, if Jerry Jones' thugs (Boo! Hiss!) make it to the Super Bowl (ever) again, they won't have my support. The entire team could consist of bi-vocational Baptist pastors with degrees from Baylor and I still wouldn't be on their side. Sorry, but some rivalries just run too deep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. It kills me and I mean just kills me that it's the Cardinals playing the Tigers. I can't stand the thought of cheering for them but to copy your sentiments, I would not mind if they won. Albert Pujols who is affectionately known by his teammates as Pastor Pujols is a brother but on the ball field he is the enemy! That is said with much love!