10.30.2006

October 30, 1980

When I was in 5th grade, the "Big Game" between the two high schools in my hometown happened to fall on Friday, October 31.

That posed a problem. Either I would be at the game with my parents and not be able to trick-or-treat, or I would stay home and go trick-or-treating in an empty neighborhood. As with most small towns in Texas, everybody would be at the game -- not at home handing out candy to kids.

So I came up with a plan.


I convinced a couple of my friends to go trick-or-treating with me on Thursday, October 30. It made sense to me based on my 10-year old logic. Since I assumed that everybody else in town would have recognized the unfortunate scheduling dilemma like I did, I expected my neighbors would be well-stocked with plenty of candy ready to hand out.

I was wrong.

At every house we went to that night, we were greeted with looks of confusion and panic that seemed to say, "What? Am I off a day? Are we about to be inundated with kids?" Fortunately, a few houses had already bought their candy supply for the next day and graciously gave us our share.

After having to explain ourselves at every house and coming across more bare cupboards than we had hoped for, we gave up. Clearly, the neighbors lacked the vision and entrepreneurial spirit of this sweet-toothed 5th grader.

2 comments:

David Hilburn said...

Entrepreneurial? Seems more like begging to me.

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious. And it makes total sense- anyone who grew up in a Texas town knows what Friday nights look like. If everyone just thought like a 10 year old... ;)