10.21.2006

My new wing girl

I have lunch with my friend Don every Thursday. It started out years ago as a weekly meeting between me, as a Sunday Bible study director, and him, as our singles minister. Now, it's between me, as a Sunday Bible study teacher, and him, as our singles minister. But actually, it's between me and him -- a couple of friends.

Since I work at the church and he's in his office on Thursday mornings, we meet up and head out to lunch together. On our way out, we stop by the cafeteria at First Baptist Academy (HFBC's private school) to say hello to Don's son, Isaiah. Isaiah, a kindergartener, is a total ham. I love the little guy.

My assistant's daughter, Madison, is in 1st grade at FBA and has lunch at the same time as Isaiah. I ran into Madi the other day when Don and I made our weekly stop. "Hi Mr. Steven!" she shouted as she waved me down. (With two kids excited to see me, it was clear I had come a long way from just wanting to sit a the "cool table" back in the day!)

Jenea (my assistant) shared with me that Madi told the story of our encounter on their way home from work/school one day.

"Mr. Steven came to lunch today to see his kids," Madi reported.

"No he didn't," clarified Jordan, Madi's 4th grade sister. "He doesn't have kids. He's not even married!"

Jenea said there was a significant moment of silence in the back seat, apparently as Madi processed this new bit of information.

"Well, that's weird," she concluded.

For the record, Jenea assures me that Madi clearly said "that's weird" -- not "he's weird." So, I'm flattered and that this little 1st grader is so perceptive as to discern the weirdness of my being single given my obvious attributes:
  • a candy dish that's always well-stocked
  • a refrigerator in my office where her mommy can keep her after-school Capri Sun cold
  • the fact that I have "Come Sail Away" by Styx on my iPod (one of her favorite songs)
Move over guys. I think I found my new wing girl.