10.14.2006

Shade-y

I headed out to Baytown today to see my nephew's football game. Kyle's team won, thanks in part to his 25-yard touchdown pass and several other great plays. Final score: 28-0.

Before heading back to H-Town, I stopped off at Target in my search for sunglasses. During the football game, Mom was trying to convince me to go the dollar store next door to Target. That's where she gets hers -- and she is not ashamed.

Keep in mind that this is normally not such an ordeal for me. In fact, I wouldn't even call this particular search for shades an "ordeal" really. I just keep having random or awkward incidents along the way. And since some folks have been asking me about it ("Hey Steven, do you know where I could find some sunglasses?") -- clearly because they are concerned for me, I'm sure -- I figured I would give an update.

So, there I was in Baytown's Target. I'm pretty sure the last time I went to Target in H-Town, there was a section of sunglasses in the "Accessories" department clearly designed for men. At least that's the assurance I got from the poster of a dude wearing sunglasses hanging above one particular display rack.

Not so in the Baytown Target. The only shades I could find in the "Accessories" section were by posters of women and girls. But by looking at the actual sunglasses themselves, I was fairly confident that some were for men. Or at least they could pass for men's when taken out of context and away from the others. That's what I kept telling myself.

(My fear? Accidentally getting "ladies glasses" like George Costanza did on Seinfeld. I made sure the frames did not say Gloria Vanderbilt.)

While examining my options, a flock of elementary school kids were checking out shades on display racks a few feet away. Apparently, there are many factors that an eight-year old has to consider when choosing sunglasses. Fortunately for these kids, they had each other there to hold each other accountable and to keep them in line.

"Lindsey! You are SO going to look like Paris Hilton in those!"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes you are! You better get these. They look like Hillary Duff's!"

Whew! Crisis averted!

Anyway, I found a pair of shades for me (neither the Hilton's nor the Duff's, by the way) and headed back to H-Town with uncompromised vision. If you see me and my shades, please be nice.

1 comment:

Ulovebeth said...

The new D&G are all the rage. Maybe you should try the classic aviators.