10.18.2006

Elmo es muy comico!

Up front, I will admit that this is one of those stories that would be SO much funnier if you knew the person who told it. However, I will do my best to truly represent just how dang funny it is.

Monday was Boss' Day so my team took me out to lunch today. While waiting for our table at the Grand Lux Cafe, I was reminded of the old FAO Schwarz that used to be in that exact location and how I once looked for a Tickle Me Elmo there for my niece and nephew years ago.

One of my team members shared that her husband recently purchased the new TMX Tickle Me Elmo - Spanish version for a relative. They do not speak Spanish, but he (the husband) just couldn't resist the thought of having the new robotic Elmo around the house for when the relatives visit.

Fast forward an hour or so later when lunch was over and we were headed to the car . . .

As the driver fumbled for the keys, we waited in the ridiculously hot and humid October weather. One of us said, "Wouldn't it be great if there were a button that could start the car, unlock it, and crank up the air conditioning before you even got in?"

That reminded us all of the new Lexus being advertised on TV right now -- the one that can park itself. Naturally, since everybody in the car is older than me, the conversation turned to all the advancements in automobile technology and all the changes we've seen over the years.

That's when Laverne (*) spoke up in the back seat.

"I still can't get over the Spanish-speaking Elmo!"

Tomorrow, I will share with you an even funnier story that Laverne told us. Seriously, the story brought tears and disrupted the whole office -- even when I retold it later that afternoon. You won't want to miss it.

(*) Name changed to protect the "innocent"

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Ummm...there is a button that will unlock the car, turn it on and turn on the air conditioning. Many cars have this feature. I know that's not the point of this post...but I had to say it.